Friday, March 23, 2012

who knew??





I absolutely loved all of your responses to my question… why sew??... and though I told you how my process works, I guess I should tell you a bit more of why I chose to start… seems reasonable, right??...


Yes, yes… I was truly looking for an escape from all things scary at 24 years old, but I had this little moment in time. Almost an irrelevant minute really, but all encompassing at the same time. Ya know what I mean… “Empowering, but with a scotch of badass involved”… Any who… it went a little like this…


I was in this super fancy pants store in Santa Cruz while on vacation… REALLY out of my league, kinda shiz. Anyways, they had this little out building full of home dec stuff like; napkins, table runners, and quilts… and I was just simply caught like a deer in the headlights. Couldn't move, world stopped spinning for a moment kinda shit, while I just stumbled and realized what was actually in front of me???.... it blew my mind. This was no JC Penny shit. This was art.


So… I say, quietly to myself, “I can make this…” and an elder family member... not only hears me, but says, “Yeah… no honey, you can’t. Do you know how hard THAT is??”… And I blinked. Blinked that pipe dream straight away. Right, yeah... I believed them. Those quilts (hell… even the napkins in that store) were very impressive to say the least. I must have been quite the silly girl to think otherwise, really. And my vacation went on… but, the seed was sewn, I won’t lie. I really... couldn't stop thinking about those quilts.


Well, I can safely tell you I was home for… possibly a week??? And I soon begged a friend of mine to borrow her sewing machine! Because, in my head… I slayed that bastard Autism… his ass was currently doing hard time in the slammer, and re-thinking his hold on my family, so it only seemed obvious I could be a master sewer too! Duh… how could anyone doubt this, even me… right???


LOL



 I can honestly say, I think I broke 5 sewing machines that first year! Pathetic and OOOooohhh… so very true! Many OOoohhh... times i thought the boy toy was going to finally say, "NO! no MORE!", but he just kept giving me an another outlet. I think he knew i needed to master this, claim it... if you will. cause, Lord knows not much those day's were in my hands... thanks only to his wisdom for that! I still laugh at how I threw myself into it though… thinking in my little head… I’ll show you, damn it!!! And I made the ugliest shit that first year too! Seriously… bwahahaha…. I feel so bad for those who had to garage sale that crap later on!!! I don’t even think I learned how to legitimately, "quilt" until I made over… roughly 700 rag quilts! No lie!! That's a whole hell of a LOT of snipping! Hehehehe….


I guess… when all is said and done, I feel good about where I am. It's only been... like, 4 years now!! I don’t need to be any one's hero, but I’m damn well proud that I can count on my, "self taught anal retentive" skills... not to embarrass myself!! :P  Although, i do get the feeling this is always going to be that hobby of mine that pushes you into another realm... constantly, needing to conquer a new skill and trying anyone's patients!  it's a bit sick, really.... that i  look forward to it, yeah??!!  ha!!  what can i say, I lOVE a good self challenge!! Right...???




i feel very excited for all my new adventures with this craft!
x, Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment